Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Full Time, Part Time and On-Call

If there is one thing I can say about myself, it is that I’m a hard worker. I hate being lazy, I like to get out and do something. Don’t get me wrong, I love when I have time off, but I think I enjoy it more than the average person, because I get one day off in probably three months. There are many people out there that know I work a few jobs, but most don’t know what I officially do, so here’s what I do. Try not to get too bored reading this

For my full time job I work for The Document Group. We’re a Xerox agency that sells Xerox named equipment and supplies. What I do is everything but the sales. When we get new agents in I help with the training, setting up the network, making proposals, advertising and marketing, research information…basically I’m the office “Go To Gal”. I gave up my job at eBay so that I could work here. As much as I miss eBay, I love working for the same boss as I did four years ago. It’s like stepping into a comfy pair of old shoes.

After working eight hours at The Document Group, I head off to the Post Office or what I like to call the concentration camp. I do encoding processes for 60 cities in the nation. Basically what happens is that every piece of mail gets sent through a computer and then it sends us a message on a computer screen what information is needed for that piece of mail. It doesn’t sound bad, but let me give you an image of the place. The work floor is the size of a football field, lined up end to end with computers and cubicles that are about 3 feet apart. Right in the middle of the floor is a raised platform which I call “The Godpod”. This is where 4 or 5 supervisors stand and watch over us to make sure we’re working. We can not talk while on the floor, we just key the mail. So if we are caught talking, or taking too long of a break they can call us up for an official discussion. Thank goodness for iPods and headphones! This is the only break of sanity we get on the work floor. I used to work here full time for almost three years and now I’m doing it part time. I work there 3-4 days a week Friday thru Sunday and any extra day I can get in. I’m so used to it, that I don’t even think about how miserable and mundane the work is, but I have some wonderful co-workers that I look forward to seeing and chatting with on our hourly breaks.

Then when I’m not working these jobs, I help my Dad out with his business. He’s a contractor for Komatsu Equipment and he travels around the globe doing Maintenance and Safety training on mining equipment. He travels so much he’s only home about 10 days a month, so when he’s home I’m his personal assistant, mostly booking travel for the next trips. Man, does he rack up those frequent flyer miles!

“Is all this working worth it?” People constantly ask me. Hopefully by this time next year it will be as I am working all this time to save up for the new 2009 Concept Camaro and maybe a long deserved vacation.


Quirky Quote: Adults are always asking little kids what they want to be when they grow up because they're looking for ideas. ~Paula Poundstone

No comments: