Sunday, June 8, 2008

Rant, Rant...Smurf?!

There’s a couple of things that I just have to rant about; a couple of pet peeves, which I'm sure everyone can relate to.

Rant #1
Customer Service

What the hell happened to it? Honestly, I cannot think of the last time I truly had good customer service. I’ve desensitized myself in thinking this is the norm, but when you have bad customer service…damn, it must be bad! This weekend I went into a store that is a national chain, that specifies in a certain product and there is a new item that I know that will be hitting the selves within the next couple of days. I thought, well who better to go ask then these “so called” experts. I went in there looked about to see what other items I might be interested in and did pick up a couple of things and headed my way to the checkout. Yep there’s 20 checkout stands, but only one is open with a line of six people, two of them needing returns. “I’m going to be here I awhile” I thought to myself. And I was right I was, even though there were 5 other employee standing right behind us have a laxed conversation about someone’s vacation. They looked over to us several times, but none came to help. One guy in line asked the checker if she could have one of them help, but she just ignored him. I finally got to the checkout and just like magic, all of a sudden the 5 nimrods standing in the background came up and asked if they could help…yeah…there was no one left in line. Then I went on to ask them about this upcoming product. They all looked at me like I was speaking Klingon. “Well can one of you find out when it will be in the store” I asked. They then debated for the next half a minute who would do this hard task of looking it up on the computer. Hence to say, I never got my question answered as I walked out frustrated. Some experts eh?!? Now, I worked in retail for 6 years and I know that it isn’t any fun, but hey…that your job! Do it! That’s why you’re getting paid.

Rant #2
Movie Theater Etiquette
I’ve come to realize that the more and more our society advances technological, the more and more our manners go out the door. When I go into a movie, I expect the show to entertain me...not the other members of the audience. Why do people think it’s right for the kids to run up and down the aisle and yell at the top of their lungs, or to text message with the blaring LCD screen, or talk through the whole movie. I don’t mind if people make a few comments here and there, but full conversation about what dumb thing your husband did the night before needs to go out into the foyer. If your kids cannot behave in public, don’t take them into public. I have to give Kudos to one of the movie theaters in town as they have started to major motion pictures for the 21 and over crowd. No kids and no teens are allowed in the movie. Not to say that I don’t like kids, I love them, but it’s nice to see a film that you know that maturity of the audience can control their A.D.D.

Musing
Smurfs

Here’s something a bit amusing for y’all. The other day while working at the Post Office, one of my friends, who is a huge cartoon geek like myself, told me she got the whole series of Smurfs on DVD. So we went on talking about the Smurfs and some of our favorite characters, when one of the gals asked us “What is a Smurf”? Ouch! I now feel the old factor setting in. OK, here's something that's awkward...trying to explain a Smurf to someone that doesn't know what one is. Yeah...I ended up looking like I was high. But then again, maybe that's how the idea of Smurfs came along.


Random Recommendation: Go to Wikipedia and do a random article search and read about it. You’ll be surprised what you can learn.

Quirky Quote: Freaks are the much needed escape from the humdrum. They are poetry. ~Albert Perry

1 comment:

orangemily said...

I agree with you on customer service AND movie theaters. What is happening to the world!!
Cute little smurfs!