Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Best and Worst of Summer 2008 Movies

Well Labor has passed and it’s officially the start of Fall Movies, in my opinion, this is the worst time for films as if the production companies are just trying to get these films out there before the holiday season starts and the Oscar contenders get their films out. But as Summer 2008 goes, I believe it was successful and a lot of fun. I had the chance to see most of my choice films; there were 30 on my list and I saw 24 of them. Not a bad season. Maybe I have too much time on my hands.

Here are my overviews, but let me explain how I rate them:

A Rating: A must see! Most likely I have or wanted to see it again at the movie theater

B Rating:
A good film. Highly suggested to see it once on the big screen and see it before most people talk about it and spoil it for you.

C Rating:
It’s entertaining and fun, but you can wait to see it on DVD in your own home theater.

D Rating:
Eh…catch it on TV while doing chores around the house.

F Rating:
Just give me your money now and I’ll flush it down the toilet for you.

I also base each movie on its on merits. Most of the time I go into a movie knowing what to expect, so I wouldn’t judge Mama Mia (musical), The Dark Knight (action film) and Zohan (comedy) in the same way. Each are based on how well they entertained and held up in their own category.

The Fall ~ A+

Get Smart ~ A

Iron Man ~ A

Kung Fu Panda ~ A

Hellboy II: The Golden Army ~ A-

Mongol ~ A

The Dark Knight ~ A-

Wall*E ~ A-

Journey to the Center of the Earth - 3D ~ B+

Tropic Thunder ~ B+

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull ~ B

Kit Kittredge: An American Girl ~ B

Speed Racer ~ B

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor ~ B

Baby Mama ~ B-

Mama Mia! ~ B-

Swing Vote ~ B-

Hancock ~ C+

The Incredible Hulk ~ C+

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian ~ C

Death Race ~ C

What Happens In Vegas ~ C

Made of Honor ~ D+

You Don’t Mess With the Zohan ~ F


Best (and Worst) of Summer 2008

Best Summer Movie:
The Fall – A Princess Bride for the new age.

Worst Movie:
You Don’t Mess with the Zohan – If I hear of anyone renting/buying this, I will personally come and destroy the DVD for you.

Best Actor:
No surprise here but Heath Ledger as The Joker in The Dark Knight, but a close 2nd to Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder.

Best Actress: Catinca Untaru as Alexandra in The Fall

Biggest Surprise: Swing Vote

Biggest Disappointment:
Hancock

Best Hero:
Tony Stark/Iron Man in Iron Man

Best Villain:
The Joker in The Dark Knight

Best Animation:
Kung Fu Panda

Best Cameo:
Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder

Best Drug-Free Trip:
Speed Racer

Best Fight
: Temundjin (Genghis Kahn) and his “brother’s” final battle in Mongol

Best Group Show:
Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D

Best Kiss:
Pierce Brosnan and Meryl Streep in Mama Mia!

Best Movie You Probably Didn’t See:
The Fall

Best One-Liner:
“Yep, you’re in love…have a beer”. From Hellboy II

Best Re-Make:
Get Smart

Best Song:
I Can’t Smile Without You by Barry Malilow in Hellboy II

3 comments:

Debra said...

I love reading your movie reviews. I haven't seen most of the movies you listed (we tend to wait for Netflix to watch movies), but it's always nice to read your perspective.

BeatlesDiva said...

Thank you! I love movies, too bad I get get a job doing movie reviews professionally.

orangemily said...

I like the way you summed it all up!
You would be awesome at professional movie reviews!