Friday, August 22, 2008

Tropic Thunder

Tropic Thunder
Rated R
107 Minutes
Nicole’s Rating B+


Usually when Hollywood gets a bunch of A-listers in a comedy movie, it turns out to be a disaster (Attack from Mars for example), but this movie pulls it off. I’d say that each A-list actor had equal screen time and no one was trying to outshine another.

This comedy is about a making of a war movie that has a never heard of director filming his first movie and having to deal with some divas of Hollywood. Because of issues on the set the director is forced to put the actors into a real time war zone but tells them that the script will be filmed using a different method, hence the actors become real life soldiers.

For the actors themselves Ben Stiller probably did the most unimpressive job. He plays his typical “not too intelligent, funny faces squeaky voice character he plays in every movie he has ever made, but then, I’ve come to expect this with him. But when I realized that he directed the movie, I was highly impressed with the excellent job that he did with the overall film. Jack Black is another one that you know what you’re going to get in the movie, but that doesn’t make his character lovable and funny. But if there are two actors that shine it is Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise. I know for a fact that if this wasn’t a comedy, these two would have Oscar nominations. Downey played his role so well, I actually forgot that he’s a white guy. As for Mr. Cruise, I didn’t even recognize him until half way through the movie he played his part so well.

The movie was filmed on location in Kauai (my favorite vacation spot) and the aerial shots and cinema-photography was beautiful. But I was truly amazed how huge and extenstive the action sequences there were. Certain moments were so explosive and action packed I forgot that I was watching a comedy.

As for the controversy over the “retard situation” that the media has over-played, all I have to say is this movie is offensive in every way possible and this was one of the more mild circumstances of the film. I don’t know why this was the situation that made the headlines; saying that, you MUST go into this film with an open mind. If you are easily offended about any major controversy such as animal rights, child labor, drug use, gay and lesbian issues…etc., I wouldn’t recommend this. But if you can laugh at about anything that life throws at you and you can take some over done graphic violence (Kill Bill kind of stuff), this one will have you rolling.

No comments: