Monday, May 12, 2008

Speed Racer

Speed Racer
Rated ~ PG
123 Minutes
Nicole’s Rating: B

This movie was like a drug-free acid trip mixed in with a high dose of a sugar rush! If you easily get motion sickness or your brain hurts from quick action scenes and bright colors, I don’t recommend this for you, but if you like to experience the thrill of being a young kid again, see it.

Speed Racer was a lot better than I predicted it to be. I was expecting the cheese factor to be at a maximum level, and even though there were a lot of cheesy moments, the plot was actually quite good. The main reason I say it was a fine plot because there was an unexpected twist at the end. I love shows that do this! The stars of the show were Paulie Litt, who played Spritle, and his chimpanzee companion Chimp Chimp. We’ll be seeing a lot more of this young man I guarantee.

There were some issues I had with the special effects, but somehow it still worked along with the rest of the theme of the show. One other issue I had was the jumping around with the flashbacks. It works at a couple of parts, but I wish they would have done just a sequential sequence instead. Just a heads up with you with kiddlets, this movie is rated PG but I honestly felt it should have had a PG-13 rating. There’s a bit of crudeness and language that you might not want little ones to hear.

I grew up watching the cheesy cartoon back in the day and this movie brought out the kid in me again. I even caught myself cheering a couple of times during the movie. I honestly think I had more fun watching this film than most of the children at the theater. And if you don’t like that, go and see it for the crazy vehicles and all the eye-candy for you adults. Oh and did I mention, there’s ninjas! Gotta love the ninjas!

No comments: